Sebadoh Hits The Road For First Time In Five Years
Led by frontman Lou Barlow, erstwhile indie rockers, Sebadoh, will begin their first U.S. tour in five years April 19 in St. Louis. The band, which formed after Barlow split from another legendary indie-rock act, Dinosaur Jr., released numerous albums during it's initial career run, some of which (Bubble & Scrape, Bakesale) continue to influence the musical universe as forbearers of the current "lo-fi" and "emo" movements.
(photo L-R: Jason Loewenstein, Bob Fay, Lou Barlow)
Jason Lowenstein, who was only 16-years-old when he co-founded the band with Barlow, will once again accompany his bandmate on stage as he did for the European tour which became the inspiration for this current round of dates.
Fans can expect to hear old favorites in slightly revamped arrangements. Barlow says the show will feature "Jake Loewenstein and me with some simple non-electronic percussion we recorded on my trusty Tascam Porta-One cassette four-track. I play acoustic guitars and Jake plays electric bass. We strip the songs down but I'd like to think it still 'rocks.'"
With Lowenstein's budding career as a studio engineer and solo performer and Barlow's own projects—his band Folk Implosion had an honest-to-goodness hit with "Natural One" in 1995 from the Kids soundtrack which he assembled—many wonder if there will be time for a new Sebadoh record in the future.
Barlow is keeping mum, saying he has "no plans for another Sebadoh record but who knows? I don't."
Sebadoh Spring Tour 2004
• 04/19 St. Louis, Mo. Duck Room
• 04/20 Chicago, Ill. Abbey Pub
• 04/21 Detroit, Mich. Magic Stick
• 04/22 Hamilton, Ontario The Underground
• 04/23 Toronto, Ontario Horseshoe Tavern
• 04/24 Montreal, Quebec El Salon
• 04/25 Cambridge, Mass. TT The Bears
• 04/27 Hoboken, N.J. Maxwell's
• 04/28 Brooklyn, N.Y. North Six
• 05/02 Philadelphia, Penn. Khyber
• 05/03 Baltimore, Md. Ottobar
• 05/04 Carrboro, N.C. Cat's Cradle
• 05/05 Athens, Ga. 40 Watt
• 05/06 Atlanta, Ga. Echo Lounge
• 05/07 Birmingham, Ala. The Nick
• 05/08 Nashville, Tenn. Exit-In
Got news tips for Paste? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.