Spiral Stairs, Wrens, many more contribute to Lifted Brow
Those crazy kids at The Lifted Brow are winding down their buzz-worthy multimedia project. After the announcement of their "Fake Bookshelf" project earlier this year, the Australia-based zine has (finally!) announced pre-orders for the issue, due out Jan. 17.
Last March, Pitchfork introduced a wider audience to the project by describing it in detail on its site: "Somebody at Melbourne, Australia-based multimedia zine The Lifted Brow recently came across a 'fake bookshelf.' That is, a construction intended to give the appearance of an actual
bookshelf but, upon closer inspection, merely a collection of stripped
spines wrapped around foam. Recognizing the 103 book titles contained on the fake bookshelf's
spines as a potent font of inspiration, the zine reached out to a whole
bunch of creative friends—music-minded and otherwise—to compile the
forthcoming 'Fake Bookshelf' issue." Weird? Yes. Awesome? Double yes.
Early on, contributors included the likes of Dan Deacon, the Wrens, the Thermals, Xiu Xiu, Times New Viking, Shearwater, Mount Eerie's Phil Elverum (with No Kids' Nick Krgovich), Sunset Rubdown's Spencer Krug and many more. Most people contributed music to one of the two CDs packaged with the issue, but some branched out. Krug wrote a short story, for instance, and Deacon drew. The zine is set to be more than 300 pages and contains 40 songs. New contributers include Scott "Spiral Stairs" Kannberg, the Magnetic Fields' Claudia Gonson, Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, Sleeping States, the Capstan Shafts and the Lucksmiths, among others. Ted Leo, Islands and Handsome Furs were originally scheduled to join in, but have bowed out since the initial list.
Fiction and comic art will feature Daniel Handler (Lemony Snicket), Jeffrey Brown, Rick Moody, Spencer Krug (Wolf Parade, Sunset Rubdown), Jonathan Meiburg (Shearwater, ex-Okkervil River), Carey Mercer (Frog Eyes, Blackout Beach), Beth Murphy (Times New Viking), Sydney Vermont (Hello, Blue Roses) and zillions more.
The Lifted Brow No. 4 CD Tracklist:
1. The Cay: "Cachalot"
2. Haunted House: "Sierra Trail"
3. Fewn: "Buffalo Crossing"
4. The Panda Band: "Where the River Rises"
5. Aleks and the Ramps: "Walking in the Garden"
6. Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: "The House of Memory"
7. No Kids: "Prisoner of Desire"
8. Hannah Marcus: "The Princess Royal"
9. I'm Not Jim: "Stalking Horse"
10. Telefauna: "Gold Fury"
11. Windmill: "Rollercoater"
12. The Lucksmiths: "The World of Professional Golf 1994"
13. Neil Gaiman "Bloody Sunrise"
14. Get Him Eat Him: "Catalysts"
15. Robbers on High Street: "The Duke's Dilemma"
16. Butterfly Transformation Service: "The Long Journey"
17. Pikelet: "Sweeter Music"
18. Dan Deacon: "The Night of the Scorpion"
19. Erik Hecht: "The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World"
20. Thee More Shallows: "Desert Sinner"
1. Goblin Cock: "A Tracing of Angels"
2. Bachelorette: "Mindwarp"
3. Sleeping States: "Root Canal"
4. The Himalayan Bear: "Voice of the Turtle"
5. The Walking Hellos: "The Unloved"
6. Rock Plaza Central: "Honeymoon With Murder"
7. Arms: "Gunsmoke Legend"
8. The Whiskers: "Marsh Blood"
9. Spiral Stairs: "The Cheetah Chase"
10. Faux Pas: "Road to Nowhere"
11. Michael Hearst: "Montana Crisis"
12. Claudia Gonson: "Cottage Gardening"
13. Sly Hats: "Rock Gardens"
14. Carolyn Mark and Her Enablers: "Mark of the Hangman"
15. Frightened Rabbit: "Last Tango in Brooklyn"
16. Ezra Furman and the Harpoons: "Portrait of Maud"
17. Home Blitz: "The Forbidden Tower"
18. Adam and the Amethysts: "Deadly Passage"
19. The Wrens: "In Turkish Waters"
20. The Capstan Shafts: "Murder at the Royal Shakespeare"
A/V: Featured Video: Frightened Rabbit, "I Feel Better"
A/V: Video of the Day: Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, "Modern Mystery"
Review: Ezra Furman and the Harpoons - Inside the Human Body
Got news tips for Paste? E-mail email@example.com.