Cy Coleman Compilation to Feature Fiona Apple, Patty Griffin, Nikka Costa, Missy Higgins, Many More
Hear the words "The Best Is Yet To Come" and a dapper Sinatra will likely flash across your mind, dressed to the nines in black coattails and topped with a hat, crooning those famous lyrics. Less likely to come to mind is Cy Coleman, the man behind this and many of the other songs that fill our collective consciousness. The composer and songwriter's life catalog amounts to over 2,000 songs, a number of which were popularized by the likes of Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald and Nat King Cole on the radio, and Lucille Ball on the Broadway stage. On Sept. 15, a new compilation of Coleman songs entitled (you guessed it) The Best Is Yet To Come will be released on New West Records. The record will include renditions of Coleman songs by 12 modern songstresses, including Nikka Costa, Missy Higgins, Madeleine Peyroux and Patty Griffin.
Fiona Apple sings on two tracks, offering up her first recordings in several years, save for a rendition of "Frosty The Snowman" that she recorded for the Hotel Cafe's Winter Songs last year.
1. The Best Is Yet To Come -- Patty Griffin
2. I've Got Your Number -- Jill Sobule
3. Why Try To Change Me Now -- Fiona Apple
4. I Live My Love -- Madeleine Peyroux
5. Then Was Then And Now Is Now -- Ambrosia Parsley
6. I'm Gonna Laugh You Right Out Of My Life -- Julianna Raye
7. You Fascinate Me So -- Sam Phillips
8. Hey Look Me Over -- Perla Batalla
9. Too Many Tomorrows -- Sara Watkins
10. I Walk A Little Faster -- Fiona Apple
11. Where Am I Going? -- Sarabeth Tucek
12. The Rules Of The Road -- Nikka Costa
13. (I'm) In Love Again -- Missy Higgins
Andy Whitman on Music: The New Great American Songbook?
Cy Coleman on MySpace