Kathryn Bigelow Gets Green Light for bin Laden Film
Kathryn Bigelow earned a place in Hollywood history after becoming the first female director to win an Oscar for her film The Hurt Locker in 2010. Now, she is embarking on an even bigger project.
For several years, she and screenwriter Mark Boal, a former journalist, have been working on a film about Osama bin Laden’s capture or killing.
After bin Laden’s death on May 2, there were reports that Bigelow and Boal were unsure whether to proceed with the project. However, Columbia Pictures acquired rights for the untitled film earlier this week.
Sony Pictures Entertainment, Columbia’s parent company, released a statement confirming plans for the project.
“Bigelow and Boal have been developing the project since 2008 and plan to incorporate recent events into the film,” the statement said. The film will focus on “the black ops mission to capture or kill” the al-Qaeda chief.
Amy Pascal of Sony said, “With the death of Osama bin Laden, this film could not be more relevant. Kathryn and Mark have an outstanding perspective on the team that was hunting the most wanted man in the world.”
Pascal added, “Mark is second to none as an investigative journalist, and Kathryn will bring the same kind of compelling authenticity and urgency that distinguished The Hurt Locker and made that film so memorable and special.”
The film has been set for fall 2012.
Got news tips for Paste? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.