In a brief, just-under-one-minute video, Janelle Monáe has unveiled the official cover art for her anticipated second album, a follow-up to her debut, The ArchAndroid.
Three years after the artist made waves with her first LP — at least in the Paste office — Monáe is set to wow again, having announced The Electric Lady and released its first single, “Q.U.E.E.N.” featuring Erykah Badu. While we had a taste of what the Kansas City native’s next effort might sound like, it was still a mystery as to what Monáe’s album would look like.
The ArchAndroid’s cover art displayed the versatile artist with a golden metropolis set atop her head like a crown, evoking a feeling of classic-yet-modern, futuristic-Gatsby glamour, if not royalty. But The Electric Lady artwork gives off a relaxed retro vibe—which echoes the already-released music video for “Q.U.E.E.N.”—which you can see for yourself out in the video below.
The album’s tracklist has also been revealed with Solange, Prince, Miguel and Esperanza Spalding all guesting on the sophomore record. The Electric Lady will be out Sept. 10 via Bad Boy/Wondaland.
The Electric Lady Tracklisting:
1. Suite IV: Electric Overture
2. Givin Em What They Love feat. Prince
3. Q.U.E.E.N. feat. Erykah Badu
4. Electric Lady with Solange
5. Good Morning Midnight (Interlude)
6. PrimeTime feat. Miguel
7. We Were Rock n’ Roll
8. The Chrome Shoppe (Interlude)
9. Dance Apocalyptic
10. Look Into My Eyes
11. Suite V: Electric Overture
12. It’s Code
13. Ghetto Woman
14. Our Favorite Fugitive (Interlude)
16. Can’t Live Without Your Love
17. Sally Ride
18. Dorothy Dandridge Eyes feat. Esperanza Spalding
19. What An Experience