Late last Friday, when they thought no one was paying attention, AMC canceled Low Winter Sun, the drama that failed to benefit from a plum Sunday night time slot with the final episodes of Breaking Bad as a lead-in. Diminishing ratings killed the show (a respectable 2.51 for the pilot slipped to a disappointing 0.63 for the finale), and though AMC saw it through to the end of the 10-episode season, they opted not to take a flyer on season two.
The Prevailing Internet Attitude (PIA) toward Low Winter Sun has been one of snark and sarcasm, and here at Paste, we fail to see why we should be any different. So, despite the fact that I never saw a single episode, here are my 10 favorite quotes from season one.
1. Rafael: Man, does it seem bright out here to anyone else?
2. Rafael: Seriously, I can barely even open my eyes.
3. Rafael: Hold on, give me a second to adjust.
4. Rafael: Whoa! Whoa, guys!
5. Rafael: That sun is super low.
6. Rafael: Danny, even you have to admit that the sun is really low in the sky. Come on, Danny! Don’t be all gloomy because I slept with your wife. That was almost a month ago.
7. Rafael: Weirdly, it feels cold out here too, despite the sun being low. Wait a second, what month is it??!
8. Rafael: Oh no…oh God, it’s January, isn’t it?
9. Rafael: You know what the means.
10. Rafael: EVERYBODY RUN! WE’VE GOT A LOW WINTER SUN! MAYDAY! MAYDAY! DANNY YOUR WIFE IS AT MY PLACE DON’T WORRY ABOUT IT!
As a final thought on this news, I turn to Paste editor Tyler Kane, who sent me this chat before I began writing the post: “If AMC cancels Low Winter Sun but there was no one there to watch it in the first place, do we acknowledge that it existed?”