The file sharing site TorrentFreak has an ongoing year-end series detailing the most-pirated media of the year, and today, the site released its top 10 illegally downloaded films. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was the big winner, with more than eight million illegal downloads via bit torrent. Django Unchained was a close second and Fast and Furious 6 clocked in at third. Check out the full top ten:
1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey — 8.4 million
2. Django Unchained — 8.1 million
3. Fast and Furious 6 — 7.9 million
4. Iron Man 3 — 7.6 million
5. Silver Linings Playbook — 7.5 million
6. Star Trek Into Darkness — 7.4 million
7. Gangster Squad — 7.2 million
8. Now You See Me — 7.0 million
9. The Hangover Part 3 — 6.9 million
10. World War Z — 6.7 million
As TorrentFreak noted, it’s hard to get a good sense of the damage these illegal downloads did to the U.S. box office, which just closed out its most successful year ever with $11 billion in revenues. The biggest impact, though, will likely be felt in DVD sales and on-demand services.
Because the metric measures downloads from Jan. 1 to mid-December, it’s biased toward films released earlier in the year, since they have more time to accumulate downloads. Earlier this year, the site also released its list of most-pirated TV shows.