Mika Miko's List of Lists
Despite hearing great things about Mika Miko several times over the course of a year or so, the hotly tipped Los Angeles quintet's connection to No Age often mentioned loudly in most write-ups, I had yet to actually listen to the band until its Sub Pop Singles Club contribution landed in my mail box a few months back. An infectious blast of horn-laden punk that practically defines the words "exuberant" and "raucous," the pair of songs ("Sex Jazz" b/w "Bastard in Love") left me falling over myself wanting more. Luckily, Mika Miko's new full-length, We Be Xuxa, which came out this week on PPM, delivers it in spades. At an impressively taut 22 minutes, it's secured an early spot toward the top of my year-end list. Also impressive? When asked to write a List of the Day for Paste, the members of Mika Miko wrote three:
10 Reasons Why Mika Miko's We Be Xuxa is Better Than Your Favorite
Record of the Year
1. Because not one song is about the beach but we live in beach side mansions.
2. Because Seth showcases his washboard playing abilities.
3. Because the cover picture was originally deleted and we had to go pay $40 to recover the photos.
4. Because it was recorded in a lame town aka Costa Mesa but at the coolest place aka The Distillery.
5. Because the soundboard We Be Xuxa was recorded and mixed with, once belonged to Ike Turner.
6. Because we wrote it in a month.
7. Because Wavves likes it. (not confirmed)
8. Because it's on PPM.
9. Because the vinyl version includes the answer to a long kept secret.
10. Because it's only 22 minutes long.
10 Reasons Why You Should See Mika Miko Live
1. Because gay boys love to get naked at our shows.
2. Because there are 3 Capricorns, 1 Leo, and 1 Sagittarius.
3. Because we are even better live.
4. Because you can bring your kid with you to see us.
5. Because you can bring your mom with you to see us.
6. Because you will have so much fun.
7. Because Cali will take your photo.
8. Because No Age will be there.
9. Because you can't get bored cuz we play really short.
10. Because you can try and steal our merch.
10 Reasons Why Mika Miko Loves You
1. Because you cared enough to read this list.
2. Because we like pizza and you probably like pizza, too.
3. Because you probably have a dog, a cat or a chinchilla.
4. Because you think the smell is cool.
5. Because we are not haters.
6. Because you would never steal our merch.
7. Because this list is getting boring and you're still reading it.
8. Because you'll buy us booze.
9. Because you promise not to stop when I say when.
10. Because you'll be the person to kill me.
Mika Miko will be on tour throughout June and July.