There are a lot of songs out there—every artist runs the
risk of doubling up on a title or two. Here are some of our favorite songs with the same titles. As you read this list, my fellow editor Steve is writing a song called "Stairway to Heaven" for his band Attractive Eighties Women. And it's not a cover.
1. “Jolene” by Dolly Parton, Ray LaMontagne, The Weepies
The verdict: Definitely Dolly
2. “Brandy Alexander” by Feist, The Walkmen
The verdict: Feist
3. “I Want You” by Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Kings Of Leon,
Mugison, Rachael Yamagata
The verdict: Kings Of Leon. Just kidding! Dylan.
4. “All At Once” by Jack Johnson, Pete Yorn
The verdict: Don’t really care. Jack Johnson?
5. “Cabbagetown” by Shawn Mullins, Conor Oberst
The verdict: Conor Oberst (even though Mullins is from
Atlanta, home of Cabbagetown).
6. “Hallelujah” by Ryan Adams, Leonard Cohen/Jeff Buckley
The verdict: It’s hard to beat Buckley’s cover of Cohen’s
7. “Wish You Were Here” by Pink Floyd, Incubus
The verdict: Take a wild guess.
8. “Blossom” by Nick Drake, Ryan Adams
The verdict: Nick Drake
9. “Indian Summer” by Mandy Moore, Pedro The Lion
The verdict: I’ll answer this with a question: Who would win
in a fight?
10. “Borderline” by Alison Krauss, Madonna
The verdict: How mad would you be if I picked Alison? Okay
11. “Breathless” by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Dan Wilson
The verdict: NICK CAVE
12. “Wanderlust” by REM, Frank Black
The verdict: REM
13. “Cannonball” by Damien Rice, Brandi Carlile
The verdict: Tough call but I’m going with Damien Rice.
14. “Empty” by The Cranberries, Ray LaMontagne
The verdict: Cranberries (I let high-school Kate decide.)
15. “Go” by Hanson, Daniel Johnston, The Innocence Mission
The verdict: OMG Hanson
16. “Hummingbird” by BB King, Wilco
The verdict: We’re not THAT Wilco obsessed.
17. “Mistress” by Red House Painters, Sufjan Stevens
The verdict: Sufjan
18. “On The Radio” by The Concretes, Regina Spektor
The verdict: The Concretes. Wait for the chorus.
19. “Too Drunk To Dream” by The Magnetic Fields, Whiskeytown
The verdict: I can’t believe there are two songs called “Too
Drunk To Dream.” Whiskeytown.
20. “A Good Man Is Hard To Find” by Sufjan Stevens, Tom Waits
The verdict: Both! Yay!