Ten Things M.I.A. May or May Not Have Said During Her Pitchfork Twitter Takeover
Yesterday, in advance of her new album's June 29 release date, M.I.A. released a music video that featured a kid getting shot in the head. She then launched an online publicity stunt that made many Twitter users wish the same would happen to them. In her totally-officially-sanctioned takeover of @PitchforkMedia, the artist often secondarily referred to as Ms. Arulpragasam flooded the feed with some fairly impressive ASCII trickery, a healthy dash of self-promotion and a whole bunch of semi-lucid, faux agit-prop blathering/typing. The real fun was in following the #miap4k hashtag; there, among cries for mercy, declarations of "Ugh! Unfollow!" and endless retweets, could be found some fairly spot-on spoofs of the main attraction.
How ridiculous were M.I.A.'s actual Tweets? Well, you figure it out. We've compiled some of our favorites from the whole mess: Some actually written by her, some culled from snarky onlookers and maybe a one or two we just completely made up on our own.
Anytime before 12 PM EST on Wednesday, April 28, pick out the fake ones (uh, no cheating, internet!) and leave a comment with the numbers of the impostors (plus an email address so we can get in touch with you). We'll randomly pick one of correct-guessers (must be a U.S. resident) to receive a copy of Ryan Adams & The Cardinals: A View of Other Windows and a three-CD bundle of assorted titles from the Paste library.
Sound fun? Have at it.
Update, 4/29/2010: We have our winner! Congrats to Micah, who was randomly drawn from all the many folks who correctly picked out the fakes. The answers—and credit to all the impostors—are below.
1. saving THE blingvironment one ^^^ACORNS^^^ at A TIME PEACE UP IN YO jaggynettlepasta #miap4k
Fake, via @dananananaykroy.
2. R MY C/LOK KEYS REALLY REALLY REALLLLLLLLLLY OFFENDING U OK ILL TAKE THEM OFF ▖ ▗ ▘ ▙ ▚ ▛ ▜ ▝ ▞ ▟ ▀▖ ▗ ▘ ▙ ▚ ▛ ▜ ▝ ▞ ▟ ▀▁ ▂ ▃ ▆ ▇ █ #miap4k
3. W@±©h ^^¥ ñÛ ♫♫vÎÐ³ø BORN FREE BORN FREE BORN FREEE ♫ http://bit.ly/aVrwoB
Fake, via Paste.
4. go egosurfing DRINK A SHOT OF TEQUILLA spamouflaged in brandalism #miap4k
5. Y'ALL DA REVOLUTION WON'T BE TELEVISED BUT IT WILL BE ON VIMEO BECAUSE NBC AND YOUTUBE DON'T ALLOW OLD NAKED DIX & TITZ. H8RZ!! #miap4k
Fake, via @currincy.
6. come be my U.S.B baby we could be digital natives A BELIEVER with citizenships #miap4k
7. ...zzz... #miap4k
Fake, via @qromag.
8. BORN FREE digiterati ecruiting at a nearest base OVERDRIVEN slacktivist screenagers good at neetspeak welcome #miap4k
9. PHAT! #miap4k
Fake, via @nixgarnix.
10. "ƒ๏ℓℓ๏ω▬►@sleighbells ALBUM OUT MAY11TH #miap4k http://twitpic.com/1inzw7