10. Woody Guthrie – Take You Riding In My Car | Audi
Some people might actually get annoyed by Guthrie’s repeated “bbpbpbpbpbp” sound he makes with his lips to (kinda) reproduce a running engine, but the commercial’s too creative to ignore. Plus Guthrie’s a legend.
9. Sleigh Bells – Riot Rhythm | Honda
The heavy distortion, post-punk vibe of Sleigh Bells’ Riot Rhythm fits perfectly in Honda’s sports-car commercial.
8. Grizzly Bear – Two Weeks | Volkswagen
The repetition of the harmonic “Woh-oh Woh-oh Woh-oh” and single piano note can almost put you in a trance, which probably isn’t great if you’re actually driving the car.
7. Simon and Garfunkel – The Only Living Boy In New York | Honda
For some reason, this song makes us sad. Still great, though. Well done, Honda.
6. Brandi Carlile – The Story | GM
Carlile gave all the proceeds to environmental charities. It helps that the song’s great, too.
5. Black Sheep – The Choice Is Yours | Kia
Rapping, dancing hamsters. Yay.
4. WIlco – Sky Blue Sky | VW
Volkswagen basically used the entire Sky Blue Sky album for a handful of commercials. More evidence as to why Volkswagen has some of—if not the—best ad campaigns around.
3. Cat Power – Space Oddity | Lincoln
Cat Power’s cover of David Bowie’s “Space Oddity” gives it an even greater otherworldly, mysterious sound. Great for, well, space.
2. Led Zeppelin – Rock N Roll | Cadillac
It’s straightforward rock from some of the masters. That’s enough.
1. Nick Drake – Pink Moon | Volkswagen
The peaceful, cheerful Pink Moon song fits well in a night-time drive though the back country—and helped revive interest in his gorgeous music.