Well, it appears that any talk of a post-reunion album of original Pixies material was premature. Bassist Kim Deal doesn't want in, apparently, and that's her right. Wait a minute... wasn't this the same tug-of-war that broke up the Pixies in the first place? Ah, whatever. Even if these guys do split again, they'll get back together within a couple of years and be hailed as conquering heroes once more.
But, okay... if we can't have a new Pixies album, how about an eclectic collection of rock artists covering the band's old material? Sounds original. Here it comes, though: Dig For Fire: A Tribute to the Pixes. The album is out digitally today on iTunes with a bonus EP attached. A physical counterpart will arrive Nov. 27 on American Laundromat Records.
The track list's highlights include They Might Be Giants taking on the gorgeous Bossanova closer "Havalina," Mogwai scaling the biblical horrors of "Gouge Away," OK Go switching genders for Deal's "Gigantic" and British Sea Power trying to screech through "Caribou." Here are the full details:
1. Morning Theft - "Ana"
2. The Rosebuds - "Break My Body"
3. Dylan in the Movies - "Down To The Well"
4. Joy Zipper - "Wave of Mutilation"
5. OK Go - "Gigantic"
6. Bedroom Walls - "Stormy Weather"
7. Mogwai - "Gouge Away"
8. Knife & Fork - "Motorway To Roswell"
9. They Might Be Giants - "Havalina"
10. Bunnies - "Alec Eiffel"
11. Elk City - "Monkey Gone To Heaven"
12. Fashion Victims - "Hey" (Double Dragon Remix)
13. The Commons w/ Elizabeth Harper - "Here Comes Your Man"
14. John P. Strohm - "Where Is My Mind?"
15. British Sea Power - "Caribou"
iTunes Bonus EP:
1. David Miller & Castle Arms - “Manta Ray”
2. Elk City - “Number 13 Baby”
3. Charles Douglas - “Bone Machine”
4. Julie Peel - “The Happening”
5. PC Munoz - “I Bleed”
6. Fashion Victims - “Hey (Blue Version)”
7. Joe Harvard Band - “In Heaven (Everything is Fine)”
Dig For Fire on MySpace
Paste: Wave of Mutilation - Best of Pixies
YouTube: Pixies - "Dig For Fire"
Got news tips for Paste? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.