Last time around, Guilt by Association brought us such diverse nuggets as Will Oldham covering Mariah Carey, Devendra Banhart doing Oasis and indie rock updates of Destiny's Child's "Say My Name" and Journey's "Don't Stop Believin." Since once is never enough—especially given the abundance of guilty pleasure pop gems—Engine Room Recordings has announcedtwo new installments in the series.
The premise: collect a smattering of predominantly New York-based indie artists to cover one of their favorite Top 40 hits from the '80s, '90s and today. Vol. 2 hits stores Feb. 17, but is already available on iTunes, complete with a bonus cover of "Lady in Red" from The Bloodsugars. A third volume is already in the works.
Those interested can head here for a sampling of tracks, including a reworking of Justin Timberlake's "Lovestoned" companion "I Think She Knows" and a piano-driven cover of Katy Perry's ubiqutious "I Kissed a Girl," sung by Max Vernon. Yes, Vernon is male, and the track takes on a whole new meaning.
The Vol. 2 tracklist:
1. My Brightest Diamond - "Tainted Love" by Gloria Jones/Soft Cell
Bloodsugars - "Self-Control" by Laura Branigan
3. Robbers on High Street - "Cool It Now" by New Edition
4. Frightened Rabbit - "Set You Free" by N-Trance
5. Matt Pond PA - "I'm Not
Okay" by My Chemical Romance
6. Takka Takka - "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins
7. Kaki KingShe Knows" by Justin Timberlake
8. Francis And The Lights - "Can't Tell Me Nothing" by Kanye West
Lowry - "Africa" by Toto
10. The Forms - "We Didn't Start The Fire" by Billy Joel
11. Rafter - "If You Leave" by OMD
12. Cassettes Won't Listen - "Need You
Tonight" by INXS
13. Jukebox the Ghost - "It's A Beautiful Life" by Ace of Base
Vernon - "I Kissed a Girl" by Katy Perry
Listen to My Brightest Diamond's "Tainted Love" from Guilt By Association Vol. 2:
Guilt By Association on MySpace
News: Listen, party to indie-rocked guilty pleasures
Playlist: All guilty pleasures, all the time
Got news tips for Paste? Email email@example.com.