The Women’s World Cup is set to kick off in Edmonton, Canada, on June 6 and the USWNT has high expectations of bringing home the trophy and adding a third star above the U.S. crest. With Coach Jill Ellis naming her 23-player roster two weeks ago, U.S. Soccer has released their One Nation. One Team. 23 Stories video series highlighting each player as they did with the Men’s team last summer before their World Cup.
Personally, I thought I knew a lot about the team and the players but there were some interesting gems that caught me by surprise. Here’s 23 of them.
1. Alex Morgan had, among other pets, a rat and gerbil, which didn’t leave much of an impression on her.
2. Sydney Lereux’s first tattoo was of a flaming soccer ball on her back that she was allowed to get at age 14 after winning a bet with her mom.
3. Christie Rampone embraces her mom instincts when it comes to being captain of the USWNT.
4. Hope Solo didn’t always love playing goalkeeper.
5. Growing up Becky Sauerbrunn was a makeshift goalkeeper …
... with plywood shields and couch cushions, for her brothers playing roller hockey.
6. Kelley O’Hara wanted to live at home with mom and dad forever.
7. Whitney Engen’s parents constructed homemade obstacle courses for her and her brother.
Wondering aloud if they might want to adopt me.
8. Shannon Boxx plays at the top national level with lupus.
Pretty incredible if you ask me.
9. Amy Rodriguez’ son Ryan is the cutest.
10. Heather O’Reily’s gameface runs in the family.