Well this is concerning. Get Reading reports that Marek Kruger, 53, died from smoke inhalation on August 9, 2015, when his overcharged iPhone 5 started a fire in his home.
Before his death, Kruger suffered from two brain tumors, which rendered him bedridden. Like many people, he slept with his phone by his side. Kruger also used an extension cord so his charging phone could reach him in his electric bed.
Get Reading reports that pathologist Dr. Fawaz Musa said in a statement read in court that 64% of Kruger’s body was covered in burns. He suffered from first-degree burns to his face and upper chest. There was also soot found in his larynx and trachea.
The Bureau Veritas Laboratories was hired by the Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service, and concluded the cause of the fire was an overheated iPhone battery. The battery then caused Kruger’s electric blanket to catch on fire.