They’ve been teasing this for a while, so it’s no surprise that The Rolling Stones have now officially announced that they’ll be releasing an album of blues covers.
What is new are these additional announcements: the album will be called Blue & Lonesome, and is scheduled to come out on Dec. 2. They’ve also given us a track list (see below) and album cover.
The Stones got their start playing blues covers, so this LP is a nice return to their beginnings. “This album is manifest testament to the purity of their love for making music, and the blues is, for the Stones, the fountainhead of everything they do,” co-producer Don Was told Rolling Stone.
The album will feature songs by some of the blues musicians closest to The Stones’ hearts, including Jimmy Reed and Little Walter. Preorder the album via The Stones’ website here, and check out the track list and album art below.
Blue & Lonesome Tracklist:
1) Just Your Fool (Originally written and recorded in 1960 by Little Walter)
2) Commit a Crime (Originally written and recorded in 1966 by Howlin’ Wolf – Chester Burnett)
3) Blue and Lonesome (Originally written and recorded in 1959 by Little Walter)
4) All of Your Love (Originally written and recorded in 1967 by Magic Sam – Samuel Maghett)
5) I Gotta Go (Originally written and recorded in 1955 by Little Walter)
6) Everybody Knows About My Good Thing (Originally recorded in 1971 by Little Johnny Taylor, composed by Miles Grayson & Lermon Horton)
7) Ride ‘Em On Down (Originally written and recorded in 1955 by Eddie Taylor)
8) Hate To See You Go (Originally written and recorded in 1955 by Little Walter)
9) Hoo Doo Blues (Originally recorded in 1958 by Lightnin’ Slim, composed by Otis Hicks & Jerry West)
10) Little Rain (Originally recorded in 1957 by Jimmy Reed, composed by Ewart.G.Abner Jr. and Jimmy Reed)
11) Just Like I Treat You (Originally written by Willie Dixon and recorded by Howlin’ Wolf in December 1961)
12) I Can’t Quit You Baby (Originally written by Willie Dixon and recorded by Otis Rush in 1956)