With every passing update, No Man’s Sky is looking more and more like the version of the game some expected when it first released. Tuesday, developer Hello Games unveiled the highly anticipated NEXT update in a new trailer, teasing the multiplayer gameplay that should fundamentally change the game overall.
In the trailer, you can see multiple players running around one of the game’s many procedurally generated planets. Swimming together underwater, mining for resources and flying through the planet’s atmosphere into space are just some of the new multiplayer additions to the game. There is a lot to unpack, as the trailer shows off a lot of new features. Thankfully, Hello Games has detailed the changes coming to the game when the NEXT update and Xbox One version are released.
The game’s new multiplayer features allow players to:
- Team up with a small group of friends to explore the universe together, or joined with random travelers online
- Help friends stay alive, or prey on others to survive
- Build shelter or complex colonies together to share with your team
Fight as a pirate or a wingman in epic space battles with friends and enemies
- Race exocraft across weird alien terrains, creating race tracks and trails to share online
Multiplayer isn’t the only part of the NEXT update, either. Changes are coming to the visuals, base building and Command Freighters:
Extensive Visual Overhaul:
- Play in third or first person, both on-foot and in ship
- Gaze on planetary rings and improved space visuals that make space more beautiful than ever
- Explore dramatically improved planetary terrain generation, ground textures, water and clouds that bring the environment to life
- Enjoy significantly more detail added to ships, NPCs and buildings
Unlimited Base Building:
- Build bases anywhere on any planet, with hundreds of new base parts added to the game
- Create bigger and better bases than ever before, with dramatically increased base building complexity and size limits
- Architect and own multiple bases
- Assemble and upgrade a fleet of frigates and command them from the bridge of your freighter
- Send your fleet out to into the universe or deploy them to help you as you explore a specific system
- Build a truly custom capital ship with improved freighter base building
- Invite your friends aboard and take on challenging multiplayer missions from the Galactic Commision Station on your bridge
While No Man’s Sky disappointed some with its lack of supposedly promised features, we at Paste found it to be quite a beautiful game to get lost in. The NEXT update, as well as the Xbox One release of No Man’s Sky, will arrive a week from today on July 24.
Experience the wonders of traveling the universe with friends in the new trailer for No Man’s Sky NEXT below.