In honor of the 30th anniversary of Bruce Springsteen’s Nebraska, a tribute compilation will be released this September, offering a new take on the haunting songs that were originally recorded with only a harmonica, an acoustic guitar and a four-track recorder.
The album, titled Long Distance Salvation, will feature artists such as Joe Purdy & Garrison Starr, Spirit Family Reunion, David Wax Museum, and Joe Fletcher. Each of the artists were chosen because they reflected the spirit of Nebraska, and each worked for free on the album that is being self-released, with the proceeds benefiting Project Bread.
Scott Pingeton, Visible Voice’s editor, said about the concept for Long Distance Salvation: “The idea was for each artist to record their track at home, in the spirit of the original album which was recorded on a four-track in a spare bedroom. It turns out ‘at home’ can mean anything from a cassette recorder in a bedroom to an elaborate home studio, a barn or even a church. But without exception, each track captures the desperation, pain and despair of Springsteen’s originals.” The album will be released digitally and on vinyl Sept. 20 through Bandcamp.
Listen to Trampled By Turtles’ bluegrass-infused version of the classic “Open All Night.” You can also take a look at the full tracklist for Long Distance Salvation.
Long Distance Salvation tracklist:
1. Nebraska – The Wooden Sky
2. Atlantic City – Juniper Tar
3. Mansion On The Hill – Joe Purdy & Garrison Starr
4. Johnny 99 – Spirit Family Reunion
5. Highway Patrolman – Joe Pug
6. State Trooper – Jonah Tolchin
7. Used Cars – Strand of Oaks
8. Open All Night – Trampled by Turtles
9. My Father’s House – David Wax Museum
10. Reason To Believe – Adam Arcuragi
— Bonus Tracks —
11. Shut Out The Light – Kingsley Flood
12. Atlantic City – Kyle Morton (of Typhoon) & Danielle Sullivan (of Wild Ones)
13. Pink Cadillac – Joe Fletcher
14. Downbound Train – Roadside Graves