There are a lot of songs out there—every artist runs the
risk of doubling up on a title or two. Here are some of our favorite songs with the same titles. As you read this list, my fellow editor Steve is writing a song called "Stairway to Heaven" for his band Attractive Eighties Women. And it's not a cover.
1. “Jolene” by Dolly Parton, Ray LaMontagne, The Weepies
The verdict: Definitely Dolly
2. “Brandy Alexander” by Feist, The Walkmen
The verdict: Feist
3. “I Want You”Mugison, Rachael Yamagata
The verdict: Kings Of Leon. Just kidding! Dylan.
4. “All At Once” by Jack Johnson, Pete Yorn
The verdict: Don’t really care. Jack Johnson?
5. “Cabbagetown” by Shawn Mullins, Conor Oberst
The verdict: Conor Oberst (even though Mullins is from
Atlanta, home of Cabbagetown).
6. “Hallelujah” by Ryan Adams, Leonard Cohen/Jeff Buckley
The verdict: It’s hard to beat Buckley’s cover of Cohen’s
7. “Wish You Were Here” by Pink Floyd, Incubus
The verdict: Take a wild guess.
8. “Blossom” by Nick Drake, Ryan Adams
The verdict: Nick Drake
9. “Indian Summer” by Mandy Moore, Pedro The Lion
The verdict: I’ll answer this with a question: Who would win
in a fight?
10. “Borderline” by Alison Krauss, Madonna
11. “Breathless” by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Dan Wilson
The verdict: NICK CAVE
12. “Wanderlust” by REM, Frank Black
The verdict: REM
13. “Cannonball” by Damien Rice, Brandi Carlile
The verdict: Tough call but I’m going with Damien Rice.
14. “Empty” by The Cranberries, Ray LaMontagne
The verdict: Cranberries (I let high-school Kate decide.)
15. “Go” by Hanson, Daniel Johnston, The Innocence Mission
The verdict: OMG Hanson
16. “Hummingbird” by BB King, Wilco
The verdict: We’re not THAT Wilco obsessed.
17. “Mistress” by Red House Painters, Sufjan Stevens
The verdict: Sufjan
18. “On The Radio” by The Concretes, Regina Spektor
The verdict: The Concretes. Wait for the chorus.
19. “Too Drunk To Dream” by The Magnetic Fields, Whiskeytown
Drunk To Dream.” Whiskeytown.
20. “A Good Man Is Hard To Find” by Sufjan Stevens, Tom Waits
The verdict: Both! Yay!