In yesterday’s list of the day, we explored Conan O’Brien’s fearless skewerings of NBC.
Today, we continue to celebrate our favorite late-night host, as he endures a royal screwing at the hands of his embattled network. It seems almost certain now that O’Brien will have no choice but to walk away from his dream job of hosting The Tonight Show. And we can’t help but wonder, WTF?! How can NBC be so stupid?!
Here are 15 reasons they should’ve had his back from the jump; 15 reasons we love Conan O’Brien.
1. His deft use of b- and c-level celebrities.
2. His creative risk-taking.
The Masturbating Bear
Pimp Bot 5000
3. His integrity and sense of fairness.
4. His ability to recognize fine literature, and his skills with an M-16.
5. His fearless thrashings of NBC.
6. His lasting creative partnership with Andy Richter.
7. That hair!
8. He introduced us to Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.
9. His diligence in pursuing tax deductions to keep his show under budget.
10. He can kinda play “Creep” by Radiohead, and does a mean impersonation of Edith Bunker singing The Beastie Boys’ “Sabotage.”
11. The Walker Texas Ranger clips.
12a. His penchant for self-deprecation. Whenever a guest brings up the fact that Conan went to Harvard, he always says, “Yeah, Harvard Driving School.” Even at the end of his open letter to NBC (see entry #3), he closed with a joke about his hair.
12b. His willingness to be the butt of the joke.
13. His Harvard Class Day speech.
14. His nose for the offbeat, and his fantastic old-time accent.
15. The variety.