Trading shares on the stock market is a potentially very profitable endeavour. It’s also a potentially very confusing affair. An intimidating matter to get involved in, it’s worth taking the time to read up on things to do with trading, as well as study what’s going on within the market.
While these ten apps aren’t the cheat sheet solutions to getting rich, they will go some way to making things easier to understand and track, as well as give you a taster of what’s to come.
1 of 10
10. TD Ameritrade (Free) - Allowing you to access essential features such as equity and options trading, TD Ameritrade also provides streaming quotes, real-time balances and positions, along with extensive news and research. You can also check the order status, trade stocks and options, as well as consult on-demand streaming video from Thomson Reuters and CNBC.
2 of 10
3. Bloomberg Business (Free) - A well known name in the finance world, Bloomberg Business offers comprehensive business and finance news, market data, and portfolio tracking tools. You can keep up to date with the latest news for preferred companies with a watch list feature ensuring you can analyze your personal holdings at the same time. Video content is also provided.
3 of 10
7. MarketWatch (Free) - Published by Dow Jones & Co, you can be confident that MarketWatch is going to be accurate. It keeps up to date with the stock market, updating the market data center in real time, while also providing plenty of detailed information on stock quotes. While it lacks the looks, it more than makes up for it with clear and concise information.
4 of 10
8. Morningstar (Free) - Offering independent investment research and insights, Morningstar will keep you informed about exactly what’s going on in the US market. A barometer and global indexes performance charts will keep you up to date and in the know, while at a glance, you can check out the top 10 gainers, losers, and most active securities.
5 of 10
2. Scutify (Free) - A social network for investors, Scutify is a form of educational tool, allowing you to gain knowledge from various sources, while keeping up to date with the latest news and price changes. You can track individual stocks while also receiving updates straight to your Apple Watch for extra convenience.
6 of 10
9. Stock+Option ($39.99) - The only app in the list that requires a purchase, but Stock+Option is powerful stuff. It offers realtime stock quotes, both pre and after market, one touch stock screening, multi-group watch-list management, basic and advanced charts, company filing information, analyst ratings, and so much more. It’s not for those dabbling in the market, but experienced traders will appreciate the wealth of information it offers.
7 of 10
5. StockTouch (Free) - A more stylish alternative to conventional stock tracking apps, StockTouch offers some powerful data visualization, allowing you to watch the market as it leaps wildly around from day to day. The app caters for 9 sectors, over 5,000 companies, 40,000 charts, and 50,000 news stories, meaning you’re not limited with content. You can analyze developments according to a heat map with extra animations available via in-app purchases.
8 of 10
6. Stock Tracker (Free) - Another app taking advantage of Apple Watch functionality, Stock Trader offers you free streaming of live quotes, pre-market and after-hour quotes, portfolio monitoring, and an earnings calendar. You can watch multiple items as well as juggle numerous portfolios all through this one app.
9 of 10
1. Stock Wars (Free) - A slightly dated app, Stock Wars gives you a way of testing the ground for free. It tracks what's going on in real-world investing, allowing you to buy and sell virtual shares to see how your decisions would have turned out in real life. Think of it as a free introduction to market trading, requiring no investment or risk. It's a handy way to research potential stocks.
10 of 10
4. Yahoo Finance (Free) - Offering a similar service to Bloomberg, Yahoo Finance provides a clearer interface, offering stock tracking and personalized news and alerts. You can access real-time information and investment updates at any time with charts, as well as numbers offered to decipher the details.