Numerous studies have shown that sitting in a chair all day might be bad for you health and could lead to long term health risks. Even if you do exercise for 30 minutes everyday, sitting for most of the day could increase your risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and more. Some of us spend more time sitting, whether it is at work or sitting in traffic, than sleeping and that is very alarming.
“It doesn’t matter if you go running every morning, or you’re a regular at the gym. If you spend most of the rest of the day sitting—in your car, your office chair, on your sofa at home—you are putting yourself at increased risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, a variety of cancers and an early death,” said Olivia Judson in The New York Times. “In other words, irrespective of whether you exercise vigorously, sitting for long periods is bad for you.”
Standing desks are great to combat this growing epidemic but the common myth is that they cost an arm and a leg so we’ve compiled nine standing desks that won’t break your bank account.
1 of 9
1. Smart Standing Desk by Autonomous ($299): AT $299, the Smart Standing desk is one of the few that has a "smart keypad" that remembers your perfect sitting and standing heights so you don't have to struggle to raise or lower your desk every time. The Sit-to-Stand Dual Motors are silt and the tops are made out of Grade-A wood and bamboo.
2 of 9
2. UPLIFT Space Saver Standing Desk ($499): If you're constrained by space or finances, this little guy is the desk for you. With a low price point and a small footprint, the Space Saver is the perfect solution for cubicles, studio apartments, and bottom-line-watchers. With multiple accessory and customization options, you can create the perfect desk for your needs, without crowding your office or breaking the bank.
3 of 9
3. Chairigami Standing Desk ($99): Chairigami makes various furniture out of cardboard that are lightweight, recyclable, and free of glues. Their standing desk started out as a Kickstarter campaign that is relatively cheap and is a good size.
4 of 9
4. Ikea BEKANT ($489): The Ikea Bekant can be adjusted with an attached keypad to your preferred height or lowered if you want to sit down for a little bit. The deep table top gives you a generous work surface and lets you sit at a comfortable distance from the computer monitor.
5 of 9
5. STANDEE FLEX ($399.95): With its durable metal frame, furniture-quality desktops, and budget-conscious price, the Standee Flex makes a sit-stand work style available to everyone. The Standee Flex is available in 3 frame colors: black, silver, and white. By simply pressing the up or down arrows on the standard control panel, the frame adjusts within a range of 27.5" to 45.25" in height. The width of the frame also adjusts to accommodate desktops as small as 47.5" wide and as large as 78" wide.
6 of 9
6. Stand Desk ($399-$519): The Stand Desk is available in various materials like laminate and bamboo. The more expensive versions also includes a cable management tray to eliminate messy cords and memory height controller so you can raise/lower it to your preferred height at a touch of a button.
7 of 9
7. Workez Standing Desk Conversion Kit ($110): If you don't want to get a whole new desk, then the Workez Conversion Kit is right for you. It affordably converts any table into an ergonomic sit/stand desk. It is easily adjustable and even has a fold out stand for your mouse so it doesn't take up a lot of space.
8 of 9
8. Readydesk 2 ($169.99): The Readydesk 2 is bit larger than the Workez Standing Desk Conversion Kit and is perfect if you want to use dual monitors. It is strong and light so you easily break it down when you don't need it or want to take it on the go.
9 of 9
9. Oristand ($25): Created by Hootsuite head-honcho Ryan Holmes and designers Steven Suchy and Nathan Martell, the Oristand is the most simplest desk available out there today. All you have to do is just unfold it and you're good to go. It folds flat when you want to tuck it away. The only downside is that it is only one height and there is only space for one monitor but at $25, you can't really complain.