More tragic news came out of Orlando this week when it was reported that an alligator attacked two-year-old Lane Graves near the Grand Floridian Resort in Disney World.
Graves’ body was found and recovered by dive teams on Wednesday. Now, the world-famous theme park is working to make sure an accident like this does not reoccur.
“We are conducting a swift and thorough review of all of our processes and protocols,” Disney World Resort Vice President Jacquee Wahler said in a statement shared by CNN. “This includes the number, placement and wording of our signage and warnings.”
Currently, “No Swimming” signs are posted throughout the park, but none that specifically warn of gators in the area.
The main thing officials warn is to never feed alligators, as it causes the creatures to associate humans with food. According to USA Today, the last fatal alligator attack was last year, preceded by one in 2007.
The Orlando Sentinel
spoke with Bob Boyd, a leisure anaylst who also weighed in on SeaWorld’s recent Blackfish controversy. He suggested Disney could potentially close off visitor access to beaches.
“I would expect in certain locations they’ll effectively over time be fencing off and closing some off some of those areas,” said Boyd. “I think you’ll probably see more boardwalks versus beaches.” Let’s hope these and other changes result in a safer park.