Lucille Ball’s Lucy Ricardo was destined for her place in our retro-lovin’ hearts the minute I Love Lucy hit airwaves. She was funny, sassy, dramatic and mischievous—everything that era expected women to not be. But, when we look back fondly on the life of Lucy Ricardo, we tend to only call out the “big” episodes. Lucy’s attempt to sell Vitameatavegamin is so iconic, they made a Barbie doll to commemorate it. And, yes, it’s impossible not to laugh at Lucy and her bestie Ethel as they stuff chocolates in their mouths. However, with so many seasons on air, there are plenty of other Lucy moments that deserve a little more love. Here are our picks for the 20 most underrated I Love Lucy episodes.
1 of 20
1. Drafted, Season 1, Episode 11: When Ricky and Fred try to hide an upcoming show from the girls, their wives become convinced they've been drafted. We'll ignore the fact that the boys were both way too old, and just enjoy the madness that ensued.
2 of 20
2. Building a Bar-B-Q, Season 6, Episode 24: Nearly every marriage-centered sitcom seems to have an episode revolving around a lost wedding band. Lucy's tale still takes the
3 of 20
3. First Stop, Season 4, Episode 13: When the Ricardos and Mertzes headed to Hollywood, only brilliance could ensue—but first they had to get across the country. Their stay in a rundown motel beside a railroad track represents some of the group's best physical comedy.
4 of 20
4. Off to Florida, Season 6, Episode 6: When Lucy (naturally) loses her and Ethel's train tickets to Florida, they hitch a ride with a tough-as-nails female traveler. Reports of an escaped convict on the loose turn all three women paranoid.
5 of 20
5. Lucy Fakes Illness, Season 1, Episode 16: Early in the series, Desilu gang found their running theme: Lucy needs Ricky's attention. In this particular attempt, Lucy fakes her way through three mental illnesses, but it's Ricky who gets the last laugh when his band "serenades" her with the song, "I'll Be Glad When You're Dead, You Rascal You."
6 of 20
6. Lucy and the Loving Cup, Season 6, Episode 12: Lucy was never more ridiculous than when she got her head stuck in a trophy. It brought us some of the most outlandish and hysterical moments of the show.
7 of 20
7. Ethel's Hometown, Season 4, Episode 15: On their way to Hollywood, a stopover in Ethel's childhood home affords the chance for Ethel to finally be the one in the spotlight. Her friends, however, aren't having her big-headedness, and hilarity soon follows.
8 of 20
8. Lucy Tells The Truth, Season 3, Episode 6: Two things we know about Lucy—she always needs money and she has a penchant for stretching the truth. When the boys bet her $100 she can't go 24 hours without lying, which basic instinct will win?
9 of 20
9. Lucy Raises Chickens, Season 6, Episode 19: If you've ever tried to catch a chicken, you can already imagine the insanity that abounds here. See if you can spot the squished chick.
10 of 20
10. The Passports, Season 5, Episode 11: Oftentimes preparing for trip can be the most stressful part of the vacation, and Lucy proved it right before they left for Europe. Let's just say, she ends up inside a bongo drum.