Carrie & Lowell was a huge addition to Sufjan Stevens’s catalog, so it’s no surprise that he’s revisiting the record to compile the outtakes, remixes and demos from the era to serve as a companion to his 2015 effort.
Aptly named The Greatest Gift, Stevens’s new compilation will be out Nov. 24 via Asthmatic Kitty, and the singer-songwriter has shared lead single “Wallowa Lake Monster,” which definitely measures up to the tracks that made the final cut. The shimmery, rippling atmosphere of the song explores biblical mythology, telling the story of Leviathan, a lonely monster hiding at the bottom of a lake. The spare opening progresses into a medley of breathy vocalizations and echoes of whomping horns, making up seven minutes of ethereal contemplation.
Other outtakes that will be included in the compilation are “The Hidden River of My Life,” “City of Roses” and “The Greatest Gift,” as well as demos and remixes from Stevens himself, and longtime collaborators Roberto C. Lange (aka Helado Negro), Thomas Bartlett (aka Dove man) and James McAlister (aka 900X). A portion of the proceeds from The Greatest Gift will benefit the Cancer Support Community.
Listen to “Wallowa Lake Monster” below, find the cover art and tracklist for the forthcoming compilation further down, and read our review of Carrie & Lowell here.
The Greatest Gift Cover Art:
The Greatest Gift Tracklist:
01. Wallowa Lake Monster (Outtake)
02. Drawn to the Blood (Sufjan Stevens Remix)
03. Death With Dignity (Helado Negro Remix)
04. John My Beloved (iPhone Demo)
05. Drawn to the Blood (Fingerpicking Version)
06. The Greatest Gift (Outtake)
07. Exploding Whale (Doveman Remix)
08. All of Me Wants All of You (Helado Negro Remix)
09. Fourth of July (900X Remix)
10. The Hidden River of My Life (Outtake)
11. City of Roses (Outtake)