This year’s Sundance Film Festival kicks off today in Park City, Utah, and its official sponsor Samsung is responsible for a number of panels and attendee experiences that will comprise its contributions to the festival’s programming. Chief among them: the first ever VR comedy short from Funny or Die, starring Paul Scheer and Rob Huebel. This looks like the next step toward virtual reality’s entertainment market takeover of 2016, following the premiere of The Martian VR spinoff that debuted at CES a couple weeks ago, and in fact the Funny or Die crew will be leading a panel entitled “The Future of Comedy in VR” tomorrow.
Other panels sponsored by Samsung will focus on individual films. Ellen Page and director Sian Header will talk about Tallulah; Andrew Neel, Brad Land, Nick Jonas and Ben Schnetzer will discuss Goat; Justin Long, Kevin Smith, and others will speak on Smith’s new film Yoga Hoser, a follow-up of sorts to Tusk; and Armie Hammer, Nate Parker, Jason Michael Berman, and Chris Turen will discuss The Birth of a Nation, a movie about the Nat Turner Rebellion and ironically named for the notorious 1915 film about the KKK.
Furthermore, Samsung is also presenting a wide swath of offers for Galaxy users and will feature a social activation campaign called #EmojiAllAccess, in which participants tweet “????” along with the titular hastag to receive a choice of three emojis that lead to prizes in a Let’s Make A Deal-kind of way. “Samsung Supper Clubs” will also be held the evenings of Jan. 23 and 25 at Samsung Studio in park City, combining performances from musical artists with hand-crafted dinners by Chef Marcel Vigneron. The Jan. 23 Supper Club will feature singer Jack Garratt, winner of the recent BBC Sound of 2016 poll. The Jan. 25 Supper Club will feature English electronic duo AlunaGeorge. Tickets for the supper clubs will be won by Galaxy owners who visit the Samsung Studio or those who tweet “????” with #EmojiAllAccess.
Here’s the full schedule:
Friday, Jan. 22
- 3:00 – 4:00 p.m. Funny or Die: The Future of Comedy in VR
- 12:00 – 1 p.m. Deadline panel with Tallulah featuring Ellen Page and Sian Header (director)
Saturday, Jan. 23
- 12:00 – 1 p.m. Deadline panel with Goat featuring Andrew Neel, Brad Land, Nick Jonas and Ben Schnetzer
- 8 p.m. Samsung Supper Club with Jack Garratt and Chef Marcel Vigneron.
Monday, Jan. 25
- 12:00 – 1 p.m. Deadline panel with Yoga Hoser featuring Justin Long, Kevin Smith, Harley Quinn Smith, Kim Leadford( producer) and Liz Destro (producer)
- 7:30 p.m. Samsung Supper Club with AlunaGeorge and Chef Marcel Vigneron.
Tuesday, Jan. 26
- 12:00 – 1 p.m. Deadline panel with the Birth of a Nation featuring Armie Hammer, Nate Parker, Jason Michael Berman, and Chris Turen