We here at Paste are enormous Jim Messina fans—I mean, how could you not love the guy who has accomplished the following feats in his life as a political consultant:
1. Killed the public option in Obamacare while ostensibly working for Obama, while torpedoing any chance of single-payer in American health insurance.
2. Had the audacity to solicit donations for a friend’s GoFundMe health fund, without recognizing the irony.
3. Took a job with David Cameron to work on behalf of the anti-Brexit “Remain” campaign, made £276,000, and lost.
4. Took a job in Italy working for the Prime Minister in a constitutional reform effort, made €400,000, and lost.
5. Took a job with Theresa May’s campaign, where he collected £100,000 per month, gloated about Labour’s terrible digital campaign while comparing Jeremy Corbyn to Trump, and then lost.
After getting schooled by Corbyn, Messina wisely disappeared from Twitter for a time. But he’s back today, baby, and his second tweet was a doozy:
It's almost like a masochistic self-humiliation ritual, and if that's the case, he got what he wanted. We'll now turn the rest of this post over to the Internet, which was more than ready for combat (warning: Some NSFW language to come):
Lots of respondents took particular note of the phrase “love and believe in”:
Others just went right for the jugular:
That’s a lot of tweets! And believe it or not, what you just read was merely a sampling. I mean, look at this ratio:
Not great, Jim. Not. Great. Maybe quit Twitter? Definitely quit Twitter.