Claire Boucher burst onto the scene and into our hearts with her breakthrough album, Visions. Ever since then, we’ve been eager to see what she will be up to next. These are a few of the many reasons why we are fascinated with the incredibly talented Grimes.
1. Her music: Grimes’ singing style is like no other. She takes classical elements and pairs them with electronic, lo-fi undertones that make for something truly magical. Listening to her music is a different experience than listening to your usual electronic artist, and we like it that way. The style she plays and loops makes her sound so full, like there are hundreds of her when in fact there is only one.
2. Her style: Grimes is not one to have the same look for very long. Sometimes she dresses like Sailor Moon, and she frequently changes her hair color and style. Grimes is a chameleon and looks amazing with everything she does. Personal favorites include the pink bangs and thick braids. She knows style.
3. The switch from 4AD to Roc Nation: When we saw the picture of Grimes throwing up the Roc Nation sign via Tumblr last month, we were surprised. To leave the very successful label 4AD for Roc Nation was a bold switch. However, the move to a more mainstream label will open new doors and avenues for her music and be something great.
4. Her own version of veganism: Grimes is true to herself. She has talked about being a vegan before, but if she wants to eat Ben & Jerry’s because it makes her happy, then she’s going to do it. When she posted a photo of herself with Scotchy Scotch Scotch saying “1 day hiatus from veganism is being had starting NOw,” her fans and fellow vegans lashed out against her. Read her response here via Stereogum.
5. Her frequent social media use: Grimes really loves the internet. She has a Tumblr and a Twitter that she keeps up with daily use. It’s kind of awesome because we get inside scoops (i.e. album release tease) directly from her. She was on Pitchfork’s list of top 40 artists on Twitter for 2012 and continues to be a commanding presence on multiple platforms of social media.
6. She stands up for herself and others: Grimes wrote an epic Tumblr post about not compromising her morals in the music industry.Other feminists, like Lauren Mayberry from Chvrches and Beyonce, have since followed suit, empowering women and standing up for their beliefs. Not much has to be explained about Grimes’ post; read it to see for yourself.
7. What she asks for on her rider: Last year Grimes decided to make her rider public and what was on it was truly awesome. Along with making it as eco-friendly as possible—reusable plates, cups, pitchers of water, no individually wrapped anything—she asks for: “if possible, one cute bulldog, french bulldog, pug or Pomeranian (or other cute animal, usch as a chinchilla or a pekanese) to visit and hang out but who gets to leave before too much loud noise is heard so that he or she does not hurt their ears. It is important that if said animal visits, they have a safe home to return to. lol.” Who wouldn’t want to hang with such cuddly creatures?
8. Her honesty and support for other musicians: Grimes has said numerous times that she loves Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, Dolly Parton and Beyonce, and will defend it to anyone who has something to say about her opinions.
9. She takes time to support local record stores: Being a musician and buying fellow musicians’ records at an actual physical location is great. Plus we love to hear what musicians are listening to. Check out what Grimes bought at Amoeba.
10. She also acts: Grimes has appeared in a couple short films, but here she is in a video where she and friend James Brooks of Elite Gymnastics get invited to Easter dinner by Steve Buscemi. Watch it here.